Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Farewell to England

Yesterday, I bid farewell to Wales, and tonight, farewell to England. My trip from St. Deiniol's to a hotel near Heathrow was uneventful (thank God), and I was relieved to turn in the keys to my right-side drive, left-side stickshift auto. Currently I am in the airport, awaiting my flight which leaves at 6:30 pm London time.

My time at St. Deiniol's was truly enhanced by the presence of two fellow journeyers on the road. Ian, a priest from Manchester, England, was the acting Chaplain at St. D's for the week. He celebrated the Eucharist daily, made sure everyone felt welcome, and handled any inquiries that came up when staff was not on duty. I found him to be possessed of a quick and thoughtful mind as well as a great sense of humor. Ian was responsible for getting us to Holywell as well as having checked out the history of the site and showing me some of the less well known features of the shrine. Ian was such a blessed source of welcome, second only perhaps to Andy Pandy, Looby Loo and all the friends of Angela! My second companion on a piece of this journey was Deacon Colleen, from Nebraska. She too was on sabbatical, and shared her vocation as a deacon in a way that helped me appreciate even more the presence of our Deacons, Sheila and Jeanette. Colleen had prepared for her journey with research and thought, and with an eye to how her trip could benefit her congregation back home. She was a ready adventurer on any exploration, with the open eyes and heart of the child we are called to be in our lives as disciples.
What better way for Colleen, Ian and I to bid farewell than to hoist a pint in the Blue Bell, Paul Thomas' pub and site of Angela's party!


Sitting in this lounge about to board the plane home is a natural position from which to reflect. It is also time to look ahead: I am really ready to be home, excited about our Appalachian trip Saturday, hoping for minimal jet lag and the ability to stay on the RIGHT side of the road!

See you all soon!

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment