Friday, July 16, 2010

Over the Pond


Never let anyone tell you a trip to another country is just like going to another state. It is not.

I am in total culture shock. The car is small, but fine. The stickshift is even fine. The fact that it and the steering wheel are on the right side of the car has caused a little stress in my driving. Then add the fact that there are roundabouts everywhere to take you where you want to go. I am dizzy from following them around and around until I can decide where to exit. Even the GPS is British: "go straight through the roundabout and take the third exit." How can I go straight through if I am taking an exit? Which one is the third; do I count the one I arrive in? On top of all of this, thank God, the English people are such civilised drivers! They hardly even blow their horns at me, and always smile.


So my trip from London to Hawarden (north Wales) was long and stressful, but very beautiful. The countryside is green, with loads of farms and unbelievable flowers. The library where I am staying (St. Deiniol's) is a veritable castle of books and lovely spots to read or write. Our meals are prepared by two cooks, and there is tea time and Sunday brunch.

On Monday, I will join The Rev. Jean Winn at L'Arche Liverpool for a few days. There will be a "Faith and Light" Meeting, which is a gathering of developmentally disabled folks and their families for fellowship, worship and a meal. This kind of group is often a precursor to a L'Arche Community, but not always. I will also get to meet the core members and talk to some of the assistants.

Liverpool is only about an hour or so away. I should be fine.

Cheerio!
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment