Sunday, July 25, 2010

Happy Birthday Angela!

What's a trip to the UK without a visit to a pub? Not too many nights left here, so I tried to scare up a couple of companions to walk the two blocks to town for a visit to the Blue Bell. My mates being much more studious than I, it was to be a solo trip. I steeled myself for the "feeling like a foreigner" funk that had dogged me, grabbed a few "bucks" and set out. Deep breath at the door.
As I pulled the door open, there stood a rosy-cheeked smiling man dressed like a clown. (Actually, I found out later he was dressed as Andy Pandy, a British Boomers' children's show character.) Speechless for a moment, I saw beyond him dozens of people all in costume. I said, "Is this a private party?" He said, "It's Angela's birthday! Come on in!" When I pointed out I was not in costume, he looked at me and said, "You're an American, aren't you?" [I bit my tongue before I pointed out that no one in the country had had any difficulty noticing that!] "Yes, I am," I said politely. "Well then," said Andy Pandy, "You came dressed as an American! Come on in!"
Andy's wife was Looby Loo (of course), and I met Fred and Wilma Flintstone, a nun, the Mario Brothers, Dorothy, the Lion and Mr. T. Talk about hospitality -- this great group of friends knew how to have a good time and knew how to include a stranger. No one let me pay for a drink, there was food, karaoke, jokes and stories. They had gathered to celebrate Angela's 30th birthday; their love for her and welcome for me were as much a sign of God's grace as the open heartedness of L'Arche Liverpool and St. Deiniol's. I blessed the birthday girl and walked back to my room with a smile.

So keep your eyes open today: you never know when a stranger might stumble into your path.

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment